Date/Time: Thursday, February 24, 2011; 12-1 PM ET
Stuart Turner, Grace Stafford, Hua Min, Rick Kiefer, Stuart Bell, Mike Riben, Larry Wright, Riki Ohira
- Q: Is there anything specifically new for the CTS2 that needs to be taken note of? A: The model has been revised a bit since the January release. Went from 80-page document to 200-page document so descriptions, definitions and z model is fully done and specifications are fully done.
- Tasks for VKC: we hadn't really talked about the VKC.We are hoping to get a couple of papers from this project (a white paper with recommendations), but the thought was that this is a way to have a pitch for other things we would want to include. What's on the "wish list" for the VKC.
- Tooling/technology for the tasks is referring to VKC itself, or LexEVS and
- Not ignoring standards, NCRI has the broadest view of standards
- Write to ontology representation, but also write to standards (not formally making recommendations for standards)
- Support may be the most important aspect we want to include in this
- Number of pages is not important, can be from one page to as many as five pages
- OID tasks for Grace
- Q: Where should we put it? A: It might be easiest to write in modules, then add it later.
- Stuart shared the work he has done on Ontology Evolution
- Ontologies are dynamic and we have been thinking about what are the main pieces of information needed about ontolgoies, like normative source, etc.
- For documents and references
- Now with web technologies, there is information that every document will have a URI or OID
- We need to ask if the current metadata for ontolgoies supports ontologies appropriately, and if not, what recommendations should we make
- Q: Do we need to create a separate document for this? A: The outline posted is more granular than this and a guide to what we should write to.
- We should write in pieces and put it together later. We can worry about formatting later.
- Task for ODM
- Of the ontolgoy specific formats (like CTS2, BioPortal, etc), there is also ODM, an OMV spec that covers a broader territory. Look at specification of ODM (and is becoming more important in SI 2.0 activities) so we want to consider it's impact as much as time allows right now
- Want to write about things it supports and "gotchas"
- 1/2-page summary
- Looked at classification scheme, which was created by user request and is not exhaustive
- Automation to do semantic indexing
- Stuart took REST API and pulled 247 or 289 ontologies in BioPortal; took their descriptions and looked at keywords, to give an idea of the types of ontologies are in BioPortal
- Stuart also reviewed the Recommendations Page
- There was a gap analysis for ISO 11179 v2 and v3 that Denise Warzel and Dianne Reeves is familiar with.
- Plan to look at it and review and see if there is any relevance to this group's activity (Sherri is working on this)
- Display representation: NCRI/ONIX approach is good and we may want to include things with word clouds. How can we improve visualization of terminologies? From both NCRI and VKC.
- ONIX provides dossier of artifacts about the ontology of interest; curation effort, done by hand and curate all the resources about that ontology/terminology
- Is there a way to automate the curation (to provide automated updates of new versions, new documents or new information)
- Community Outreach
- Rating the Raters paper that Natasha Noy wrote
- Getting feedback from Trish and Natasha and will write up draft summary on this area and would like feedback from Stuart Bell (NCRI), Trish and Natasha (NCBO), and VKC
- The group agreed to work on this off-line and reach out to each other if they need more information or feedback (review) of specific content
- Key authors are: Stuart Turner, Sherri DeCoronado, Hua Min, and Mayo (CTS2/VKC)
- Stuart Turner - Write outline for ODM content (things that should be highlighted, etc)
- Hua Min - Fill in the outline with details on ODM content based on the topics Stuart highlighted (1/2 page summary of ODM)
- Riki Ohira - Send cancellation for next two weeks (due to other meetings)