Skip Navigation
NIH | National Cancer Institute | NCI Wiki   New Account Help Tips
Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date/Time: Thursday, November 10, 2011; 10-11 AM ET

Attendees

Brian Davis, Craig Stancl, Hua Min, Larry Wright, Rick Kiefer, Bob Freimuth, Stuart Turner, Trish Whetzel, Sherri De Coronado, Riki Ohira

Agenda

  1. Review of Previous Meeting Action Items
  2. Review Literature Search (From Grace Stafford)
  3. Reivew of Citation Table - Stuart Turner
  4. Other Discussion
  5. Review of this Meeting's Action Items

Assigned To

Description

Due Date

Grace Stafford

From Previous Meeting Action Items List: Conduct literature search on caBIG approved terminologies that are reviewed

Th 11/10/2011

The Group

Review the project plan and edit or provide feedback to Brian, Sherri and Riki

Wed 11/9/2011

The Group

Look at the literature (Citation Table) that mentions OMV and provide comments of article and relevance to this group's work

Wed 11/9/2011

Stuart Turner

Reach out to Peter Yim and give debrief of what ORWG is doing and ask if he can attend our meeting to give debrief of what they are doing

Th 11/10/2011

Trish Whetzel

Collect information of other instantiations/implementations of BioPortal to get "feedback" from these users

Wed 11/9/2011

Brian Davis

Incorporate timeline for getting OMV to standard body by next meeting June 31st

Tue 11/8/2011

Stuart Turner

Document potential issues with bringing OMV to ISO for standardization

Th 11/10/2011

Notes

  • Stuart Turner reached out to Peter Yim from Ontolog's Open Ontology Repository (OOR) and Peter confirmed that he would be able to attend the next ORWG meeting (11/17); Stuart to send teleconference information and invite to Peter Yim and colleagues
  • Stuart suggested, like what we did with Raul Parma for OMV we should gather questions from the this group for Peter and his colleagues (Wiki page for OOR Questions: https://wiki.nci.nih.gov/x/SLJiAw)
  • Stuart did some research about possible issues for bringing OMV to ISO for standardization. There was an effort to bring OMV to the European Standards body, which may me beneficial (not sure yet). Stuart will continue to research possible issues for OMV standardization with ISO
  • Brian shared the list of articles Grace Stafford found citing the caBIG-Approved Terminologies to possibly include in BioPortal (as additional information or reivew information)
    • Brian said that we could take 3 minutes to reivew quickly to see what type of information is in the article and the value to the user. Brian also asked Trish Whetzel if this is the kind of information that NCBO BioPortal is wanting to include.
    • Stuart Turner commented that having bibliographic information as a component to the ontology metadata is great. Next step would be to analyze and review to see how helpful the information is for the user
    • Stuart mentioned that one method that the group could use to review the articles is the Critically Appraised Topic (CAT); it is an evidence-based methodology that doesn't require a full review.
    • In the short term, we may not be able to include the review, but at least have the reference; Stuart also suggested considering having the references included in the ontology metadata more formally (a specific section) as opposed to including it as a "Review" of the ontology
    • Stuart also commented that more widely used terminologies, like SNOMED may ave a list of publications on their own site that would make sense to leverage
    • If publications were added as its own section, Stuart commented that there is a Documentation element in OMV, but not sure if it makes sense to use for all the citations found
    • Stuart also mentioned a possibility of having automated maintenance of the references, like using MeSH
    • There was a comment that it might be helpful to categorize literature, but Brian noted that when he did similar work to this they polled the end users and found that they preferred to have the full list and let them figure it out, since we won't know what they want to use it for
    • Brian also commented that once there is content in there, it becomes self-correcting.
    • There was also a comment that there is value in non-reviewed content (gray literature)
    • Trish commented that there is currently a "Publication" field, but it is restricted only to the ontology author
    • The group felt that it would be best to have these references as a separate section and not part of the "Review" but this would require development of additional functionality in future versions of BioPortal
    • The group also discussed what type of reference information should be included in this section, and Brian suggested including at a minimum the information used in general article citations: Author, publication year, article title, journal, etc.
    • Brian showed an example of the SGD Citation: http://www.yeastgenome.org/cache/NewPapersThisWeek.html Exit Disclaimer logo as an example of what the references or publications section could look like
    • Stuart also showed a site that he has build called "Evidence-based Veterinary Medicine Association" Beta version where he developed the site to automatically update when new articles referencing specific topics (terminologies in the case of BioPortal) are available
    • Trish said she needs to talk to their Development Team (Ray) to see what it would take to add this functionality and determine when they would be able to include it in the release. Trish did mention that NCBO is trying to have monthly releases and the next release is scheduled for December 14th. There was some discussion
    • There was some discussion about whether this functionality was needed for the "Road Show" of BioPortal, and it was decided that if NCBO could add the function quickly, we could add information for the demo, but if not, we could provide "mock" up slides
    • Brian also commented that we should plan to have the BioPortal presentations to the Domain Workspaces in early December and Late January (due to the holidays)
  • Stuart reviewed the Citation Table he put together listing articles that listed OMV for review and assessment of where OMV is being used in "the wild"
    • Stuart started to review some of the articles, but still needs to look at it more closely; Brian also commented that he needs to look at it
    • Stuart commented that they could use CAT to review these articles as well
    • The group was encouraged to look at the Citation Table and provide input where they could
  • Brian Davis also brought up that the group needed to start looking at planning for the Roadshow and said he would put together a project plan and outline for the content
  • Brian also reiterated on a comment Stuart made about thinking how the publication for BioPortal ontologies could be automatically updated

Action Items

Assigned To

Description

Due Date

Stuart Turner

Send teleconfernce information for ORWG weekly meeting to Peter Yim and colleagues

11/10/2011

The Group

Add questions for Peter Yim regarding OOR to the wiki site: https://wiki.nci.nih.gov/x/SLJiAw

11/15/2011

Riki Ohira

Send meeting invite for next week's ORWG to Gilberto Fragoso since he is the POC for Ontolog group

11/11/2011

Stuart Turner

Continue to research possible issues with bringin OMV to standardization with ISO

11/16/2011

Trish Whetzel

Speak with Ray (BioPortal) development team about adding this functionality to the features list and determine whether this is an easy add or would need to be included in later releases

11/16/2011

Brian Davis

Put together project plan for Roadshow and outline of content for presentation

11/16/2011

The Group

Provide input into project plan

11/15/2011

The Group

Provide comments on the Citation Table for OMV references

11/23/2011

Brian Davis

From previous meeting: Incorporate timeline for OMV standardization with goal of June 31st meeting

11/15/2011

  • No labels