Skip Navigation
NIH | National Cancer Institute | NCI Wiki   New Account Help Tips
Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date/Time: Thursday, November 3, 2011; 10-11 AM ET

Attendees

Brian Davis, Sherri De Coronado, Larry Wright, Stuart Turner, Trish Whetzel, Grace Stafford, Rick Kiefer, Denise Warzel, Riki Ohira

Agenda

1) Review Action Items (10 minutes)

Action Items

Assigned To

Description

Due Date

Brian Davis
Sherri De Coronado

Work on developing a true project plan from now through end of January to have a manuscript developed on ORWG work

10/19/2011

Stuart Turner

Literature search to see what journals have published articles on OMV

10/19/2011

Stuart Turner

Follow up with Raul about attending next week's ORWG meeting or schedule time for us to meet next week if ;he is unable to attend the standing meeting

10/17/2011

Riki Ohira

Send out email asking for questions for Raul/OMV and collect for meeting with him

10/13/2011

Sherri De Coronado

(carried over another week) Look at reviews Trish posted to Bioportal abstracted form caBIG VCDE reviews, see if any are missing, etc.

10/20/2011

Grace Stafford

Conduct literature search on caBIG approved terminologies that are reviewed

10/20/2011

Brian Davis

Follow up with Stuart Bell regarding inviting Susana to join this group

10/14/2011

Brian Davis
Trish Whetzel

Report on Meta-Ontology group activity

10/27/2011

2) Review project plan – Sherri and Brian (10 minutes)

3) Overview and Announcement of List of Journals for consideration  - Stuart Turner (5 minutes)

4) Report on Meta-Ontology group activity – Trish Whetzel (15 minutes)

5) Discussion of Meeting with Raul and Asun on OMV (15 minutes)

  1. Debrief of meeting
  2. Approaches for engagement
  3. Next steps

6) Review of this meeting’s Action Items (5 minutes)

Notes

  • Brian went through the Project Plan overivew; highlight of tasks and where they are located on the ORWG wiki
  • Planning a meeting with Sherri, Trish and Harold possibly Monday, November 7th at 10 AM PT to discuss NCBO, caBIG/CBIIT and CTS2 collaboration
  • Need concentrate on establishing "Core" OMV, which will feed into the other tasks culminating in "Road show" and development of wiki white paper
  • Stuart Turner introduced the Citation Table he posted on the wiki
    • Goal was to provide information about articles on OMV
    • As a resource for information on OMV in the "wild" for reference
    • Tease out other work, other extensions, etc around the use of OMV
    • Approach can be done by dividing and conquering or just do ad hoc way
  • Meta-Ontology Group activity
    • They have monthly meetings and ad hoc meetings as needed
    • There are many things going on but not as related for us to work together yet
    • Knowledge Engineering for Nanoinformatics (KENI) renamed
    • Completely volunteer group, but empowered by some organization (Nano Informatics meeting) to show progress from last meeting in Spring on project sanctioned by this group
    • Architecture project; how to architect a system to enable semantic integration
    • Sub project of Nanontech Alliance
    • Brian and Trish plan to attend regularly and can bring back information where relevant
  • Discussion with OMV Group (Notes from 10/21/2011 meeting)
    • Surprised that they didn't have thoughts around Compliance to their model
    • There might be someone who has already done that in the articles around dealing with compliance to OMV
    • This is a funded project with specific deliverables and deliverable documents; some of the articles are not peer-reviewed articles but deliverable documents
    • Implemented OMV in a couple of projects, but there is no ongoing formal governance structure
    • We did talk about extensions what are continued evolution and the parts that overlap with other standards, like Dublin Core
    • We should map to Dublin Core even for intial implementation; at a minimum
    • Difference between "extension" and "modification"; one area is versioning (a gap by OMV), filled by a number of things added in BioPortal and CTS2
    • OOR group is working on areas of harmonization
      • If NCI implements this, will it be BioPortal or something else
      • Gilberto is monitoring the OOR group; perhaps he can provide an update
      • NCBO is working on a new version of BioPortal VM and tweaking to be suitable to OOR's hardware; next version of VM is parallel of September release for OOR to install BioPortal
        • Q: Is there a formal arrangement with OOR and Ontolog with NCBO and BioPortal?
        • A: There are a handful of other BioPortal instances in other domains and a broad swath of those, OOR covers that space (not anything more formal that close interactions between the two groups for implementation framework and modifications for Ontolog's needs.
        • We are trying to do a systematic review and it would be good to know the other instances of BioPortal for implementation; would be worth contacting them and getting "feedback" (should be part of the "Road Show"
        • Not just comprehensive review, but to do analysis and harmonization for bringing it forward as a standard
        • Trish can get information about other instantiations/implementations of BioPortal to get feedback from the users (about 30 installations)
          • Can get contact information of those using it as a terminology server
          • Q: Are there licensing issues or reporting requirements?
          • A: There are no license or reporting requirements. Just that NCBO notifies users of new versions and sometimes they will give feedback and NCBO will collect data about reasons for use and how it's being used and if it is helpful.
    • Point of Contact with OMV
      • There is probably more discussions around harmonization and incorporation of other standards to OMV before bringing it forward
      • Have NCI community make comments first on how that model should look like
      • It needs to come through National Body
      • When we get white paper done in January 2012 we can take it to NCI board
      • June 31st and need to get it in by April 15, 2012
    • Q:Are there risks to push through ISO given what OMG is doing with CTS2?
    • A: OMG has liaison giving presentation on ISO 19763 and the liaison brings these standards to the other standards bodies to provide comments, etc.
    • It would be good to document potential issues (Stuart assigned) around bringing OMV forward for standardization and if specific organizations may not agree with this standardization we may want to socialize this effort before it goes forward to the standard body WG2

Action Items

Assigned To

Description

Due Date

Grace Stafford

From Previous Meeting Action Items List: Conduct literature search on caBIG approved terminologies that are reviewed

Th 11/10/2011

The Group

Review the project plan and edit or provide feedback to Brian, Sherri and Riki

Wed 11/9/2011

The Group

Look at the literature (Citation Table) that mentions OMV and provide comments of article and relevance to this group's work

Wed 11/9/2011

Stuart Turner

Reach out to Peter Yim and give debrief of what ORWG is doing and ask if he can attend our meeting to give debrief of what they are doing

Th 11/10/2011

Trish Whetzel

Collect information of other instantiations/implementations of BioPortal to get "feedback" from these users

Wed 11/9/2011

Brian Davis

Incorporate timeline for getting OMV to standard body by next meeting June 31st

Tue 11/8/2011

Stuart Turner

Document potential issues with bringing OMV to ISO for standardization

Th 11/10/2011

  • No labels