This chapter provides information about the CDE Cart, which is in many ways like a typical shopping cart used at an online store. It retains the CDEs you add for use in the CDE Browser and Form Builder.
Saving CDEs for Access in Form Builder
You do not need to login to search in CDE Browser, but if you want to save CDEs to the CDE Cart for access in Form Builder, you need to have the same login credentials in both applications.
The chapter includes the following topics.
Accessing the CDE Cart
To open the CDE cart
Click the CDE Cart icon located at the top of the CDE Browser window.
The initial view of the cart is empty.
- When you search for and add CDEs to the Cart, you can save CDEs to the Cart if you log into CDE Browser with your own login credentials (not the Guest account).
- Once items are saved to the cart, they can be retrieved later through the CDE Cart in CDE Browser and Form Builder, as long as you are using the same login for both applications.
- If you do are not log into CDE Browser or log in with just the Guest account, the CDEs are not saved to the cart. They persist in the cart only for the duration of the active session.
- Click Return to Search to start a search and add items to the CDE Cart.
Adding and Saving CDEs to the Cart
Once data elements are added to the cart, you can download the elements to Excel or XML format, save them to the cart for future use and also use the elements with Form Builder to create or update forms and templates.
To add data elements to the CDE Cart
- Perform a search or use the search tree to display CDEs in the Search Results.
- Check the data elements that you want to add to the CDE Cart, and click Add to CDE Cart.
A success message appears above the search results table, and the number of data elements added is listed on the CDE Cart icon.
Click CDE Cart.
The CDE Cart contents display.Derived data element components are included with the CDE and available for download.
After adding CDEs to the CDE Cart, you must save them, so that the CDEs are available during future sessions.
Check the boxes in the Select column of the CDEs to save to the cart, and click Save Cart.
Prompted to Log In?
If you are not logged in, the CDE Browser opens the Login screen for you. Log into CDE Browser to save the contents CDE Cart.
Once the CDEs are saved, a check appears in the Saved column. CDEs saved to the CDE Cart will remain in the cart until deleted or updated. Any changes made in the CDE Cart in CDE Browser will be reflected in the Form Builder CDE Cart. If a CDE is changed, however, you need to add the CDE into the cart and then into the form again for the form to be updated.
Accessing the Saved CDEs in Form Builder
If you have the same log in for CDE Browser and Form Builder, you can retrieve the selected items in another CDE Browser session or through Form Builder. To retrieve the saved CDEs in Form Builder: Click Return to Search, the Form Builder icon, the CDE Cart in Form Builder, the Retrieve Saved button, login if prompted, and the saved CDEs populate the CDE Cart in Form Builder.
- To start a new search and add more items to the CDE Cart, click Return to Search.
Retrieving CDE Cart Items
If you saved items to your CDE Cart during a previous CDE Browser session, you can retrieve those saved items, as long as you did not delete them from the CDE Cart.
To retrieve a saved CDE Cart
- Click CDE Cart located at the top of the CDE Browser window to open the cart.
The CDE Cart opens.
- Click Retrieve Saved.
- If you are not logged in, CDE Browser opens the Login page to retrieve your last saved CDE cart contents.
- After logging in, the CDE Cart reappears showing the retrieved CDEs.
Downloading CDEs from the CDE Cart
You can download all or the selected CDEs in the CDE Cart to an Excel or XML file.
- Data element derivation details are included in CDE downloads.
- Downloading data elements to an XML file is considerably slower than downloading to an Excel file.
- When you download a file, save the file instead of opening it. This saves time and eliminates possible problems opening a large file.
The following table provides instructions to download to an Excel and XML file.
Advisory for Network Resources
To eliminate stress on your local and network resources, the caDSR team packages the most commonly requested sets of CDEs for download. We strongly recommend reviewing the pre-configured CDE downloads by clicking Available Downloads at the top of the CDE Browser page.
Download to Excel
To download CDE data and the following additional columns provided by a CDE Browser version 5.3 Excel download, select Download to Excel:
To download data elements to an Excel file
Download to Prior Excel
To download the same CDE data as a CDE Browser version 5.2 Excel download, select Download to Prior Excel.
Download Data Elements to an XML File
Downloading data elements to an XML file is considerably slower than downloading to an Excel file.
To download data elements as an XML file
Permissible Values are now included when exporting the CDE Cart to XML.
Removing CDEs from the Cart
To remove CDEs from the CDE Cart
Deleting from the cart does not affect caDSR database
Removing CDEs from the cart does not remove them from the caDSR database, but you will not be able to retrieve the CDEs in another session.
- Check the box in the Select column next to the CDE(s) you want to remove.
- Click Delete.
The selected CDE(s) are removed from the cart.