NCI's NBIA node
LONI Image Data Archive
Function BIRN Data Repository
NIRL Imaging Database
Give A Scan
Pediatric MRI Data Repository
Cancer Imaging Program, caBIG
In Vivo Cancer Imaging
Alzheimer's Medical Imaging
Patient-contributed Medical scans
Supported Operating Systems
Linux, Mac?, Windows?
Active development Team/Community
Explicit data sharing policy (link)
Standard of De-Identification
Supplement 142 w/ Keep Description, Retain Device Info options enabled
Support for multi-site submissions
Project- or collection- based groupings?
Size of Current Volume
number of DICOM Tags query-able
DICOM transfer protocol
For submission, but not download
methods to download DICOM data
Web, FTP, Java Webstart client
Affiliation with Journal
- Open source, federated model for grid based image sharing.
- Allows for "nodes" to be deployed in other institutions, which can then be connected via the grid so they are query-able from any NBIA server.
- Includes both public data access without login as well as option to build secure role-based Collections which require special access via logging in
- Simple search query options include node selection, modality, contrast enhancement, anatomical site, image slice thickness, Collections (pre-defined sets of related images), the date the images were made available, and whether or not they have associated annotations
- Advanced and Dynamic search options available to search upwards of 70 additional DICOM tag attributes
- Images can be viewed on the web site via JPG thumbnails or using the Cine functionality
- Allows for storage of annotation files and meta data, though there are plans to move most of this functionality to AIM data services in the near future
- Downloads are provided in 3 formats, either via a Java webstart client (no size requirement issues, images are not zipped) or HTTP (zipped, for downloads <3GB in size) or an emailed link to an FTP site (zipped, for downloads >3GB in size)
- Currently 2 major nodes hosted at NCI
- , one for CIP/CBIIT and another for NIAMS.
- Contains ~25 purpose built image collections, ~15 of which are publicly accessible to anyone - more info on the contents of each collection can be found at https://
- Need to find out what other NBIA nodes are actually deployed on the grid (2 others show up right now, no visible data in either - this may be irrelevant)
- Collections range in size from as small as a handful of patients up to larger collections such as LIDC-IDRI (1010 patients) or the colonoscopy collections (over 800 patients each)
- Approximately 2.5 TB of image data as of August 2010
- Contains data on nearly 5,000 osteoarthritis patients as of August 2010
- Modalities include MRI and CR
LONI homepage: http://www.loni.ucla.edu/Research/Databases/
Image Data Archive - http://www.loni.ucla.edu/Research/Databases/
- Uses LONI Image Data Archive, not sure if this can be deployed and hosted elsewhere for other archives if desired. Did not immediately notice any place to download the code.
- Requires secure login, has role based access to various Projects in their archive.
- Allows search based on project (prior to the simple query page) via Simple or Advanced query. Simple query contains subject ID, modality, research group, series description, weighting, sex, age, slice thickness, and acquisition plane. Advanced query offers a wide variety of 27 different search criteria pertaining to the patient, project, clinical info, study info, and image attributes. (Note: advanced query only seems to be an option with ADNI data set)
- Viewing images in the web site launches "LONI Image Viewer", a java based viewer which lets you scan through image slices in axial/sagittal/coronal orientations as well as zoom, pan, flip (horizontal/vertical) and adjust brightness and contrast.
- Can add specific series/studies to custom collections, collections can then be downloaded or shared. Download can be in native DICOM format or in NiFTI/ANALYZE/MINC formats? I've heard of NiFTI, not sure what the other options are. Download is managed through a java applet, came with images and a couple XML files containing some patient and equipment metadata.
- Data collections include:
- Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging Initiative (ADNI) - Consists of both image data (MRI and PET), image meta-data, and additional clinical/genetic/numeric summary data for 895 patients
- BRIN - Logged in with my "ADNI (GUEST)" access this Project only appeared to have one 3 year old patient, no description of this data set is on the "Available Data" page
- Cryosection Imaging (CRYO) - 3 patients, histology modality
- Public Anonymized Dataset (PAD) - 3 "normal control" patients, MRI modality
- International Consortium for Brain Mapping (ICBM) - 851 "normal control" patients, modalities including MRI, fMRI, MRA, DTI, and PET. I do not have access to this data set currently so did not review its contents.
- Australian Imaging Biomarkers & Lifestyle Flagship Study of Ageing (AIBL) - 285 patients including controls, MCI, and AD subject groups. Modalities include MRI and PET. I do not have access to this data set currently so did not review its contents.