Determine your training role before you
register for courses
Introduction to Enterprise Vocabulary Services (EVS)
caDSR Users and Metadata Consumers
Description: NCI Enterprise Vocabulary Services (EVS) provides resources and services for controlled terminology. EVS provides controlled vocabulary that provides the foundational layer for NCI's informatics infrastructure. Key EVS terminology resources are the NCI Thesaurus, NCI Metathesaurus, and the NCI Term Browser.
Course 1030: Introduction to Enterprise Vocabulary Services (EVS) is a basic course designed to teach attendees about EVS fundamentals. The course introduces learners to the NCI Term Browser, a tool which publishes all terminologies and ontologies hosted by NCI EVS in an integrated environment. Two NCI terminologies will be highlighted, the NCI Thesaurus and NCI Metathesaurus.
Credit for the Course: In order to receive credit for this course, you will need to register for course 1030 by contacting NCI CBIIT Application Support and obtain a score of 80% or higher on the accompanying quiz.
- Explain the importance of standard vocabularies
- Describe the EVS components and functionality
- Distinguish between the NCI Thesaurus and the NCI Metathesaurus to choose the best tool for the task at hand
- Discuss LexBIG and how it interacts with NCI Thesaurus
- Access, browse, and search the NCI Term Browser
- Use EVS as a resource in evaluating Common Data Elements (CDEs)
- 1000 Introduction to Semantic Metadata
- 1010 Introduction to Metadata in the caDSR
- 1020 Using the CDE Browser
Application Developer Using APIs
Metadata Curator Using Forms
Metadata Curator Using UML Models
Subject Matter Expert
Reference Documents and Links: