AIM is the first project to propose and create a "standard" means of adding information and knowledge to an image in a clinical environment, in order to create a future in which image content can be easily and automatically searched. AIM provides a solution to the following current imaging challenges:
- No agreed upon syntax for annotation and markup
- No agreed upon semantics to describe annotations
- No standard format (DICOM, XML, HL7, etc.) for annotations and markup
The solution is made up of various components, including the AIM Model, AIM Template Manager, and AIM Data Service. The AIM Model captures the descriptive information for an image, with user-generated graphical symbols placed on the image into a single common information source. The AIM Template Manager allows the user to generate a set of well-defined questions and answer choices to facilitate collecting the annotations and markup of an image in a XML document. The AIM Data Service then stores the XML documents in a database via caGrid.
Some AIM component downloads are in .rar and .war file compression formats.
.rar is a proprietary archive file format that supports data compression, error recovery, and file spanning. Both proprietary and free programs are available for accessing such files. A tutorial on accessing
.rar files, including a free extractor, is available
.war files (short for Web application Archive) are Java archive files used for packaging and distribution of Web applications.
.war files often contain a collection of JavaServer Pages, Java Servlets, Java classes, XML files, tag libraries, and static Web pages (HTML and related files). More information can be found in the Wikipedia article
Background information on Java Web applications is available
- AIM 3.0.2 Toolkit (Linux and Windows)
- AIM 3.0.2 Toolkit on SVN
- AIM 3.0.1 Toolkit (Windows only)
- AIM 3.0 XMI and XML Schemas
AIM Data Service
AIM on ClearCanvas® Workstation
- AIM on ClearCanvas Workstation 188.8.131.52
- AIM on ClearCanvas Workstation 3.0.4
- AIM on ClearCanvas Workstation 3.0.3
- AIM on ClearCanvas Workstation 3.0.2
AIM Template Builder
- March 2012: 1.0.0 (current release)
The AIM Template Builder (ATB) provides a tool to create concise and constrained templates consisting of a set of questions and possible answers when annotating images.
The tool allows AIM templates to be created without requiring the template creator or extensive knowledge of the comprehensive AIM information model. For more information visit the AIM Template Builder Documentation.
For a specific guide to implementing the AIM Template Creator software, refer to the AIM Template Software Setup Manual.
AIM Template Manager
- February 2011: AIM Template Manager
- End User Forum
- Developer Forum
- NCI CBIIT Application Support email
- Imaging Workspace Coordinator email
- Submit a defect or feature request for AIM Enterprise Service
- Submit a defect or feature request for AIM Information Markup Model
- Submit a defect or feature request for AIM on ClearCanvas Workstation
Contact Application Support for information about open source development and AIM.
- AIM Citations
- Implementation of the NINDS Traumatic Brain Injury Common Data Elements using caBIG AIM Model
- Informatics in Radiology Automated Structured Reporting of Imaging Findings Using the AIM Standard and XML
- Quantitative Imaging Network Summary
- AIM CDEs
- AIM RSNA 2011 Poster
- AIM 3.0 RSNA Power Point