AIM is the first project to propose and create a "standard" means of adding information and knowledge to an image in a clinical environment, so that in the future image content can be easily and automatically searched. AIM provides a solution to the following current imaging challenges:
- No agreed upon syntax for annotation and markup
- No agreed upon semantics to describe annotations
- No standard format (for example, DICOM, XML, HL7) for annotations and markup
The solution is made up of various components, including the AIM Model, AIM Template Manager, and [AIM Data Service]. The AIM Model captures the descriptive information for an image, with user-generated graphical symbols placed on the image into a single common information source. The AIM Template Manager allows the user to generate a set of well-defined questions and answer choices to facilitate collecting the annotations and markup of an image in a XML document. The AIM Data Service then stores the XML documents in a database via caGrid. AIM on ClearCanvas® Workstation is a reference implementation.
Some AIM component downloads are in .rar and .war file compression formats.
.rar is a proprietary archive file format that supports data compression, error recovery, and file spanning. Both proprietary and free programs are available for accessing such files. A tutorial on accessing
.rar files, including a free extractor, is available
.war files (short for Web application Archive) are Java archive files used for packaging and distribution of Web applications.
.war files often contain a collection of JavaServer Pages, Java Servlets, Java classes, XML files, tag libraries, and static Web pages (HTML and related files). More information can be found in the Wikipedia article
Background information on Java Web applications is available
Access AIM Template Service online. No download is required.
Refer to AIM Template Service Documentation for links to the user's guide and release notes.
Refer to [AIM Data Service] for system requirements.
Refer to AIM on ClearCanvas Workstation Documentation for a product description, the system requirements, and a list of available documentation.
Refer to AIM Template Builder Documentation for a product description and a list of available documentation.
- 1.0 ([#AIM Template Builder] replaces this application.)
- Submit a defect or feature request for AIM Enterprise Service
- Submit a defect or feature request for AIM Information Markup Model
- Submit a defect or feature request for AIM on ClearCanvas Workstation
Contact Application Support for information about open source development and AIM.
- AIM Citations
- Implementation of the NINDS Traumatic Brain Injury Common Data Elements using caBIG® AIM Model
- Informatics in Radiology Automated Structured Reporting of Imaging Findings Using the AIM Standard and XML
- Quantitative Imaging Network Summary
- AIM CDEs
- AIM RSNA 2011 Poster
- AIM 3.0 RSNA Power Point